Monday 6 May 2013

Music Monday : Lost In Translation.



Charlotte: I just don't know what I'm supposed to be.
Bob: You'll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.

Lost In Translation, a fabulous film and one I could gush on about for hours, but bizarrely this week is not about that wonderful movie. Nope, I'm afraid I'm just using the title and reeling you in. 

Bad Edd.

Okay, so this week we are in fact doing covers that are in an alternative language to the original or famous version. In truth I wanted to have a song feature here and couldn't think of a gimmick to bring it in and so went off looking for other great songs that had different feels when translated. What I actually found were a boat load of car crash tunes and so felt, why not, let's do the good, the bad and the down right ugly.

Tonight is gonna be tough on you, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't click on some of these tracks, but if you do I guarantee that what you here cannot be unheard.

You've been warned.

JE T'AIME TROP TOI by Claude Francois

Yeah, I don't have much to say about it other than that this probably isn't massively flattering to the original and in truth that original could have done without the extra kicking. 

Come back Sonny and Cher, wherever you are (though don't because a zombie Sonny would freak me out)





HEROES by David Bowie

Bowie, in German. Actually it's still pretty good. Then again you can't really have a go at Bowie can you? The luster's start up a fuss and the music fans call you a Muppet, so... here he is.





LA TUA IMMAGINE by Dino

No, I'm not sure what I think about this one. Right, Italian is a nice language and all and so people should do the whole translating thing and so perhaps this is cool? I'm such a huge fan of the original and of Simon and Garfunkle that I'm probably blinded.

See what you think.




HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE by Yuki Masuyama

Bee Gee's are cool. Yeah they do that squeaky voice, falsetto thing, but a lot of their songs are incredibly well written and if you go grab a list of the stuff they've written for other people its amazing how many they have actually pumped out.

This is dude has an original take on the whole thing, I'm not sure how that works out for you but I was heading for the kitchen to Mr Blond myself afterwards.

Sorry.




Finally! The main event! I recently bought the Sons Of Anarchy seasons 1-4 album, thinking it would hit a smooth line between Rock and blues. When I slammed that puppy on I found something far more powerful in the quieter moments. 'Strange Fruit' is on there and its a fabulous version for sure, along with a whole heap of other, incredible, haunting tracks.

This is something I picked up on going through the first time and went straight back when the album had finished. It's rare someone can cover a Dylan song and get away with it, I think he's brilliant, even with the nasal singing. Here we have a light, soft, gentle version of a Dylan classic.

I love the original, I love this version, I hope you love it too.




Right, that's it for this week. Next week? Not sure yet. Any suggestions then just let me know. :-)

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment